Abby Brand ’10 studied economics and French before becoming an attorney.
At Lake Forest College, we ensure that our students are well prepared for the global working world because of their strong academic foundation and internship experiences, both domestically and abroad. With our proximity to the global city of Chicago, and access to numerous study and work opportunities worldwide, Lake Forest provides access to a wide range of internship options for students to further develop their language and cultural competencies. Our network of powerful alumni and friends help connect students with the best positions available before and after graduation.
The Department of Modern Languages and Literatures has one of the most extensive internship programs in Chicago, as well as in many other countries.
Students studying Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Portuguese, or Spanish may intern in a number of fields to further their understanding of other languages and cultures. These experiences often complement a second major and/or minor and can lead to post-graduation employment.
Our students have assisted high-ranking government officials, served as translators for international associations, conducted laboratory research, collected data for public relations firms and libraries, developed skills in marketing, technology and data analysis, worked in banking, business, film, law, the arts and cultural institutions and prepared and taught classes at more than 25 sites.
Types of internship settings include:
Politics, Government, Law, Social Services
- L’Assemblée Nationale
- Association of American Residents Overseas (AARO)
- UNESCO delegations
- Embassy of Oman
- International Law firms
- Protocol (logistics for visiting dignitaries)
- Community organizing, social services (Senegal)
- Women’s groups (Senegal)
Communication and the Arts
- Granada Insider (Culture Magazine)
- French Connection Film
- American Library in Paris
- Burson Marsteller (public relations)
- Gagosian Gallery
- Kuwait News Agency (KUNA)
- Fashion House Franck Sorbier, Paris
- La voz de Granada (radio station)
- Fundación Euroárabe
Education, Translation, Linguistics
- Alliance Française, Chicago
- Lycée Pascal
- Global Education Experience
- Ecole Trinité
- Colegio Maristas, Spain
- Lexicon (linguistics) Spain
- CTS Language Link (translation agency)
Health, Science, Environment
- Research Assistant, Universidad de Granada (Biology Department)
- Clinique vétérinaire (Paris)
- Research laboratory (Paris)
- Public health, environmental protection, sustainable agriculture (Senegal)
International Relations, Economics, Business and Finance
- Bank of Kuweit (Paris)
- Unión Iberoamericana de Municipalistas
- BNP Paribas (marketing and technology)
- French Heritage Society
- Mona Bismarck Foundation
- IOR Global Services
- Small business development (Senegal)
Students majoring or minoring in a language naturally want to go abroad to practice their skills. Here are a just a few of the many countries where we have programs that you can consider. Many more can be found on the Off-Campus Programs website:
- Costa Rica
- Hong Kong
- United Arab Emirates
Modern Languages and Literatures
Law and Public Service Career Advisor and Internship Specialist
Learn more about internships.
Schedule an appointment with Ben Rohde via Handshake.