Welcome to the Lake Forest Global Engagement Office, which develops, coordinates, and supports campus efforts to engage with the world.
The Global Engagement Office at Lake Forest College supports the institution’s mission to embrace cultural diversity and to prepare our students to become responsible citizens of the global community by enabling our students to participate in study, research, volunteer, internship, and fellowship experiences both in the U.S. as well as around the world, by welcoming visiting and exchange students and foreign university delegations to our campus, and by facilitating cooperation with institutions abroad.
To fulfill this mission, we….
….help our degree-seeking Lake Forest students by:
- Developing a portfolio of academically rigorous study abroad and off-campus programs and fellowship experiences that meet diverse needs and goals
- Connecting them with coursework and experiences that align with concepts and materials introduced at Lake Forest, so that students can continue to build on a framework of understanding for their areas of study
- Guiding them through the program selection, application, and participation requirements and processes for appropriate study abroad and fellowship opportunities to their academic background, interests, and goals
- Coaching them on financial aid opportunities to help them afford their experiences
- Offering orientations and providing resources to learn more about health and safety, visa requirements, academic life and cultural norms in their host country
- Providing workshops and resources for ways to “stay global” after returning from abroad, including career preparation and assistance with applying for post-graduation fellowships
….help our Lake Forest College faculty by:
- Acting as a partner in supporting our students’ long-term academic goals at Lake Forest and beyond by enabling students to find programs and fellowships that complement their Lake Forest undergraduate experience
- Supporting on-time graduation by requiring students stay connected to advisors and departments for study abroad program selection and course approvals
- Providing resources and partnership ideas to teach or conduct research abroad
- Facilitating the Lake Forest College faculty-led program(s)
- Promoting collaboration with partner institutions that can lead to more study abroad or faculty research opportunities.
….help our incoming J-1 international students by:
- Acting as a resource on campus to enable them to stay in-status for their visa requirements
- Providing an introduction to the culture and academic life at Lake Forest
- Working to get them placed in Lake Forest courses appropriate to their skill level as well as fulfilling home university requirements
- Connecting them with other resources on campus such as Residence Life, Dining Services, Health and Wellness, and student organizations
Coordinator of the Global Engagement